(NEW YORK) — Amber Heard’s legal team has fired the latest salvo in the public back-and-forth between her and estranged husband Johnny Depp, from whom she filed for divorce last week and accused of domestic abuse.
In a statement provided to ABC News, Heard’s legal team claims the actress has been subject to “vicious false and malicious allegations that have infected the media,” and “has suffered through years of physical and psychological abuse at the hands of Johnny.”
A Los Angeles judge last Friday granted Heard a restraining order against Depp. A further hearing is scheduled for June 17.
The statement says Heard, after initially declining to do so “in an attempt to protect her privacy and Johnny’s career,” now has given a statement to the LAPD regarding the alleged abuse “to set the record straight as to the true facts.” It goes on to accuse Depp of “viciously attacking Amber’s character.”
“Amber is simply a victim of domestic violence, and none of her actions are motivated by money,” says the statement. “ Amber is a brave and financially independent woman who is showing the courage of her convictions by doing the right thing against Johnny’s relentless army of lawyers and surrogates.”
Heard, 30, and Depp, 52, were married 15 months. Depp also filed for divorce two days after Heard did. They have no children together.
In a statement obtained by People magazine after Heard filed for divorce, a rep for Depp said, in part, “Johnny will not respond to any of the salacious false stories, gossip, misinformation and lies about his personal life. Hopefully the dissolution of this short marriage will be resolved quickly.”
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.