(NEW YORK) — The Angry Birds movie took flight in theaters over the weekend, managing to soar over the box office champ of the past two weeks, Captain America: Civil War.
The movie based on the Angry Birds game made a whopping $39 million bucks at the box office, though Civil War stayed strong in its third week in theaters, with a $33 million haul that propelled the movie’s total take past the billion dollar mark.
Last week’s third place finisher, Money Monster starring George Clooney and Julia Roberts, was bounced back to 7th place, thanks to strong showings from newcomer Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, which took in nearly 22 million bucks. The Nice Guys, the weekend’s final new movie, opened in 4th place, with just over 11 million bucks.
Here are the top 10 movies from Friday through Sunday, with estimated ticket sales, according to Box Office Mojo:
1. The Angry Birds Movie, $39,000,000
2. Captain America: Civil War, $33,114,000
3. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, $21,790,000
4. The Nice Guys, $11,270,000
5. The Jungle Book, $11,017,000
6. Money Monster, $7,080,000
7. The Darkness, $2,363,000
8. Zootopia, $1,703,000
9. The Huntsman: Winter’s War, $1,190,000
10. Mother’s Day, $1,115,214
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.