(MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.) — Prince, who was found unresponsive in an elevator inside his Paisley Park estate in Minnesota in April, may have been dead for hours before his body was discovered, a source confirmed to ABC News.
Minneapolis’ Star Tribune first reported that the late singer was likely “dead for at least six hours.” A paramedic who responded to the scene told law enforcement, Prince’s staff, and others that detail, adds the newspaper.
The music legend’s cause of death has not yet been announced, though an autopsy was performed April 22 and results of toxicology tests are expected in the coming weeks.
According to the Midwest Medical Examiner’s office, Prince’s body was returned to the family after the autopsy was completed.
Still, less than a week after the singer’s death, authorities obtained a search warrant for Prince’s Paisley Park estate. The sealed paperwork was filed one day after law enforcement sources told ABC News that prescription drugs had been found in Prince’s possession and at his home.
Sources also told ABC News that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose and whether a doctor was prescribing him drugs in the weeks beforehand.
Prince’s sister Tyka Nelson said in a Facebook post that the family will hold an official memorial in August.
Prince died April 21. He was 57.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.